Man, it was dry as hell today in Long Beach! My nose feels like a desert right now, and I’m pounding water and popping Ricolas trying to bring the moisture back to my airways.
Anyways, here’s today’s Fives:
- the potato taco at Taco Nazo…the key is to order the cheese, shredded cabbage, and pico de gallo on the side so that the taco dorado stays crispy…the second key is also to just pull over as quickly as you can after leaving the pick-up line so that you can eat them joints fresh…some foods (actually most foods) are meant to be eaten fresh and simply can’t safely endure the drive back from the spot to your crib up the stairs and onto your dining table
- tortas that don’t have thick bread…tried the carne asada torta at Taco Nazo today, and the meat was kinda burnt (since they use the chopped up taco meat instead of a large piece of flank) but I was nicely surprised that the bolillo they use for the bread was not too tall. So many times you order a torta and there’s a bunch of stuff inside and THEN you gotta deal with 2 inches of bread on both the top and bottom of your sandwich. It’s just not structurally sound. But Taco Nazo at least got the bread right on this one even if the meat wasn’t that good.
- the sun not setting at 3pm…I mean, it’s still setting at 4:52pm right now, but it’s nice to have a bit more daylight as we inch towards more vaccines being distributed and life getting back to a happier rhythm (especially with the bozo and his crew now being out of office)
- since we haven’t been able to see the kids due to quarantining, we miss having them here laughing and doing their regular comedy routines…but our neighbors have a 7-year-old and a 4-year-old and since it was little warmer today they’re currently out in the driveway chasing each other around and cracking each other up…it’s the not the same as having our little cubbies around us laughing, but it’s medicine for the soul just to hear kids laughing, man…one of the best sounds in the world!
- that feeling of when you finish watching a show from front to back and now you have to pick your next viewing mission…SO MANY CHOICES! Do we finally hit the last season of Ozarks? Keep moving through Bob’s Burgers? Dive into the films of Ron Howard (which Cil recommended yesterday and actually sounds like a great idea since he always makes such solid movies)? I’ll keep you posted on this one…