I missed throwing down my Fives for the last 2 days, and I gotta say I probably didn’t sleep as well as a result. Or maybe it’s in my head. But then again, there are no rules here, and I–contrary to the old schoolyard line–actually AM the boss of me, so maybe I just didn’t need to throw down my Fives for the last 2 days. For whatever it’s worth, I do think gratitude helps steer my attitude, so let’s get this thankfulness train back on track:
- Egg McMuffins: man, I woke up this morning with my mind set on “I MUST HAVE EGG McMUFFINS”, got in the car, went to the Woodruff location to cop, and came back home feeling quite accomplished. It’s truly a perfect sandwich. I actually like the Sausage McMuffin with Egg a little more, but that one is so much heavier that I’d rather have an Egg McMuffin with the Canadian bacon so that I can have a couple of sandwiches and feel like “yeah, what a solid breakfast” instead of having two Sausage McMuffins with Egg and feeling like “PLEASE NO ONE TALKE TO ME UNTIL AT LEAST 3:45PM”
- the McDonald’s hashbrown: I guarantee you that no one was more heartbroken than I was when McDonald’s decided to faze out their All Day Breakfast and return to the normal 5am-10:30am routine that had me feeling like a maniac on mornings when at 10:12am I’d be mashing to the local McD’s trying to hit the line before they cut me off. Alas, Clint Eastwood made a movie about learning how to hit a curveball (I think that’s what it was about) and so in that spirit I’ve learned to make due. But there was NOTHING like being able on the late night to roll out in my sweatpants + Crocs, hit the drive-thru, and cop whatever I felt like while also being able to throw a hashbrown (okay, a pair of hashbrowns) in the mix with my order. The McDonald’s hashbrown is a rounded rectangle of perfection, and I think in 2021 I’m going to go out of my way to let them know how much I appreciate them for having held me down all these years. Also, did you know people actually break their hashbrown in half and insert them into their breakfast sandwiches?! I never knew that was a thing prior to today when I was reading up on general McDonald’s breakfast-related adventures that others have gone on…but I may try this one rather soon
- having a job during a pandemic: I keep seeing the news about these second stimulus payments that may or may not get approved, and I can’t tell you how thankful I am to the big ball of energy above/around us that has allowed both Cil and I to have money coming in throughout the pandemic. For all my folks that are looking for work but are having a hard time, please don’t hesitate to hit me via email/voicemail (peep the “Contact Me” tab on the homepage) and I can help point you in the right direction if you need some help
- being able to breathe deeply: when we were in the thick of Covid (Cil thankfully had milder symptoms but things got heavy for me for a 10-day window) and I literally thought I was a coughing fit away from being no longer on this planet, I remember being just so hungry to be able to breathe calmly. Not even deeply…I just wanted to be able to breathe in and breathe out without my lungs getting seized up. When I woke up on January 1st and DIDN’T have a morning coughing fit for the first time in 21 days, I was so thankful. And now as I sit here in the living room typing on my 2015 MacBook Air on this Honey Do turquoise green laptop desk, I’m just so cotdamn thankful to be able to–as one of my old teachers used to always tell us–INHALE DEEEEEEEP!
- 6-foot long lightning charging cables: Anker makes the only charging cables and hubs that I’ll buy for the foreseeable future, but if they weren’t already the best I love that I can have 2 braided nylon 6-foot lightning charging cables plugged into a fast-charging dual-port Anker charging brick that can take my phone from like 27% to 80% in about half an hour. It truly is the little things, man. :]